[Scummvm-devel] Better place for decompilers

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 19:18:45 CEST 2010

There can always be another tools module for engine developers, which will
be built
like the regular tools. The original idea was to split the tools into
something that the
average user would be interested in, and what engine developers would be
interested
in - and by developers I include both regular programmers and game script
programmers.

Filippos

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Travis Howell <kirben at optusnet.com.au>wrote:

> I disagree, as there are people interested in exploring the scripts used
> by games, but not by the code side of ScummVM. Windows users in
> particular would no longer have access to regular binaries of the
> decompilers, if they are moved outside the tools module.
>
> All the tools in scummvm/tools are directly related to building ScummVM
> so far, and I think it should be kept that way.
>
> On 15/10/2010 7:14 PM, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
> > Hi Team,
> >
> > I would like to raise an old discussion which somehow was buried in the
> > mails. Basically it is a proposal to move our decompilers to
> > scummvm/tools directory as they are mostly useless for the end users.
> >
> > Please voice your opinions.
> >

> > Eugene
> >

> > Begin forwarded message:
> >
> > Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 16:35:34 +0100
> > From: Max Horn<max at quendi.de>
> > To: Filippos Karapetis<bluegr at gmail.com>
> > Cc: m_kiewitz at scummvm.org, Lars Skovlund<lskovlun at image.dk>, Matthew
> > Hoops<clone2727 at gmail.com>, Walter van Niftrik
> > <walter at vanniftrik-it.nl>, Eugene Sandulenko<sev at scummvm.org>  Subject:
> > Re: sci iceman issue
> >

> > Am 22.02.2010 um 15:15 schrieb Filippos Karapetis:
> >
> >> (CC'ed _sev too)
> >>
> >> I was looking at the tools we provide for end-users and was
> >> wondering... why do we provide script dissassembling tools for end-
> >> users? Would anyone be interested in these? I can understand the
> >> resource unpackers (some people like to unpack their game files and
> >> browse pictures, sounds etc and perhaps modify them). I can also
> >> understand the sound compression tools. But why would any end user
> >> be interested in script dumping tools? Aren't these more suitable
> >> for engine developers?
> >
> > Seems nobody replied to this email, ever, so here's a brief one by me:
> >
> > These days, the script decompilers / disassemblers indeed would
> > probably fit better into scummvm/tools/ than our "user tools" SVN
> > module. In my view, they are there for historical reasons, mostly, and
> > maybe because they somewhat fit into the "extraction" theme which used
> > to be central for the tools. This changed, though. Anyway, if you want
> > to make changes there, I propose raising this subject on -devel. Right
> > now, it seems to make sense to me to move the de* tools, but everybody
> > should have a chance to express their view on this before we do
> > anything drastic like this (and of course nothing should be be done
> > before 1.1.0 gets branched).
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Max

"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde