[Scummvm-devel] Broken Sword 2.5 engine

Paul Gilbert paulfgilbert at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 12:03:54 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Paul Gilbert <paulfgilbert at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 1:27 AM, Joost Peters <joostp at 7fc1.org> wrote:
>
> In addition to this, it'd be nice if the PNG writing code from
>> Sword25::Screenshot::SaveToFile() would use the existing thumbnail code
>> instead.
>>

> This sounds reasonable. BS2.5 savegames have a 'version' flag, so original
> interpreter savegames wouldn't be compatible with ScummVM anyway. Plus I
> plan to add a new field to the savegame format to add the date and time when
> the savegame was added anyway, since ScummVM doesn't have a function to tell
> you the age of the file. Given that, there's no reason why the entire PNG
> code couldn't be removed.. it only seems to be used for thumbnails and
> saving screenshots in any case, and both of those can use existing ScumMVM
> functionality.
>
> Paul.

Hi all,

Apologies, I spoke too soon. Whilst the PNG storing in savegames could be
refactored to just save and laod the raw pixel data rather than as a full
PNG, the engine would still need the PNG library for loading all the various
PNG files the game uses to store button surfaces, fonts, etc.

Whilst in theory we could create an automated process to convert all the PNG
files to some other format, I suspect it's going to be easier in the long
term to figure out how to cleanly handle having PNG support directly in
ScummVM.

Paul.