[Scummvm-devel] American vs. British English

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Thu Apr 14 15:49:25 CEST 2011

On 14 April 2011 14:18, Paul Gilbert <paulfgilbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Filippos Karapetis <bluegr at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I do agree that we should use American English spelling, it gets confusing
>> (and looks bad) when we have all sorts of different spellings in the same
>> code base
>>
>> Regards
>> Filippos
>>

> I seem to be in the minority in preferring European/British English. But I
> guess there isn't a major issue with using comfortable spellings on local
> branches, which can always be standardised when they hit the trunk

Well, I do prefer British English spelling as well, but since many words
that have a different spelling are borrowed from French why not use the
French spelling instead (e.g. couleur, normalise, centre, dialogue - it
looks like English in Great Britain was badly corrupted by French some time
in the past)?

More seriously I think it is a good idea to fix a spelling convention and I
don't mind if it is American English. American English was already selected
for the wiki more than a year ago (for those who didn't know that go read
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Instructions_to_Wiki_Editors before
editing the wiki again ;) ), so it makes a logical choice for source code as
well I would say.
Which also reminds me this should probably be added to the Coding
Conventions page on the wiki.

As for GUI translations, I am not sure if we have any words in our GUI
currently that have a different spelling in British English and American
English. I might have a look next time I update the french translation. But
i agree that if there are differences there is no reason to refuse a British
or Australian English translation.

Thierry