[Scummvm-devel] Enhancement to I18N

Simon Sawatzki SimSaw at gmx.de
Sat Aug 20 21:54:21 CEST 2011

> On 08/20/2011 04:51 PM, Matthew Hoops wrote:
> >
> > IMO, it would be better to just use the string that was originally
> > translated by Cyan/Broderbund here than something thought up by our
> > translators (except in the rare case there is no translation of
> > Myst/Riven games, since they really spent a lot of time creating a
> > myriad of translations).

I can partially agree to Matthew. For reasons of consistency, we could use the strings from the original localisations to include in the .po translation files of ScummVM. There are however two minimal conditions I have:

1) The original translation must fit (should fit in the space foreseen for the text in our GUI, even when using 1x filter (no scaling)).
2) The original translation must not be worse than that what the translator thinks/thought of.

By all respect to consistency, these two points must be respected first.

Should the two points above be positive, we need some people owning those games in as many languages as possible and who provide a list of the needed strings in every language in unmodified original (so no adaption to new spelling or similiar; this can be decided by the translator).
The strings I discovered so far that we need are:
1) Zip Mode Activated
2) Transitions Enabled
3) Drop Page
4) Show Map

bgKa was so kind as to provide a screenshot of a Mohawk game using all these four messages: http://i.imgur.com/Hdmf3.png
As you can see, the buttons "Drop Page" and "Show Map" might be a little thin so that some translations might not fit in it. Maybe someone can make them thicker?

So if someone can come up with a list of the original translations for those four strings in the original localisations, we could post them either on the forums in the translation thread or somewhere in the Wiki for the translators to be considered.

> > Which brings up another point: Should the string be set by game
> > language or the GUI language?
> >

> Since depending on the GUI language the charset of the GUI font might
> differ, it is probably not a that good idea to setup the string based on
> the game language.
>
> // Johannes

I agree with Johannes and also think we should consider those strings as part of the GUI language. Else it would only complicate things for GUI languages that never had an official localisation of this game.

Kind regards
Simon Sawatzki