[Scummvm-devel] Enhancement to I18N

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at scummvm.org
Sun Aug 21 00:03:03 CEST 2011

On 08/20/2011 11:40 PM, Simon Sawatzki wrote:

> I understand what you mean, though with 2 I meant if the orginal translation was actually bad to begin with. Some classic translations were made cheaply as it was the beginning of a new branch that had to develop itself. Like if we look at Lure, "stocks" (which actually was a pillory) was translated with "cane" in German. If an original translation is like that, the new one should be preffered.
>     But if the new translation is of nearly the same quality as the original one, I agree that the original one should be taken for the reason of consistency and to retain a classic piece of the game.
>     I just mean to say that orginal text shouldn't be kept "holy" if it isn't of quality that deserves it.

Sure we also replace the save/load menu for some games. I checked my
Myst manual and it seems to contain translated options strings. I didn't
check whether they match with the strings used in game. In case the
strings in the manual match the in-game strings, I would really say we
should not change them so the users will not get confused.

// Johannes