[Scummvm-devel] Enhancement to I18N

Simon Sawatzki SimSaw at gmx.de
Sat Aug 20 23:40:31 CEST 2011

> There are however two minimal conditions I have:
> >
> > 1) The original translation must fit (should fit in the space foreseen
> for the text in our GUI, even when using 1x filter (no scaling)).
> > 2) The original translation must not be worse than that what the
> translator thinks/thought of.
> >
> > By all respect to consistency, these two points must be respected first.
>
> Personally I think 2 isn't really a good criteria. We should IMHO favor
> being as close as possible to the original to having some people decide
> whether a different translation is better or not, which is usually
> discussed on a rather subjective point of view, especially if
> translaters decide on whether their translation is better than someone
> else's ;-).
>
> // Johannes

I understand what you mean, though with 2 I meant if the orginal translation was actually bad to begin with. Some classic translations were made cheaply as it was the beginning of a new branch that had to develop itself. Like if we look at Lure, "stocks" (which actually was a pillory) was translated with "cane" in German. If an original translation is like that, the new one should be preffered.
   But if the new translation is of nearly the same quality as the original one, I agree that the original one should be taken for the reason of consistency and to retain a classic piece of the game.
   I just mean to say that orginal text shouldn't be kept "holy" if it isn't of quality that deserves it.

Regards
Simon