[Scummvm-devel] KYRA - Eye of the Beholder extension

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 20:40:33 CET 2011

On 11/30/2011 01:45 AM, Florian Kagerer wrote:
> as some of you guys might know I'd like to extend the Kyra engine with
> support for Eye of the Beholder I + II.
>
> Would it be acceptable to merge the EOB code into the main tree of ScummVM?
> Please let me know what you think.

I am still torn on this. It seems most people would just accept it, just
because it means yet again more supported games.

As Florian correctly points out, EoB I+II (and also LoL) just mostly
share file format code with the Kyra games. That mostly comes down to
the PAK (resource bundles) file code, the CPS (static images) code, FNT
(DOS font) code, WSA (graphical animations) code, ADL (AdLib sound
format) code, EMC (script format) code. I didn't check all of the code
yet, but I think Florian once mentioned EoB (1) is even using a
different script format. Apart from that code mostly only some shared
graphics related routines are used by both parts (i.e. RPG and
Adventure) of the Kyra "engine". I put the "engine" in quotation marks,
since basically most games using it are using some shared file format
code and minor other things plus a lot of game specific code.

To me all this is related to our old "informal" rule, that stated we
don't want support for non-adventure games, which only share file format
code with existing engines. It seems nowadays nobody cares about that
anymore, a bit more drastic put: nobody cares about the focus of ScummVM
anymore.

Frankly it is a true point that LoL addition in this regard was a
violation of this rule too. In fact probably more of a violation than
adding EoB 1+2 support, which might share more code with LoL than LoL
shared with Kyra1-3 back in the days. So now it might seem less of a bad
thing to add it, because we maybe made a "mistake" in the past.

Maybe it's just me who wonders now why we have a big strict saying that
we focus on adventure games, while we add non-adventures with only small
parts of code shared with existing engines.

Anyway I'm not saying I'm against adding EoB. On the other hand I can't
say I'm all for it.

// Johannes