[Scummvm-devel] KYRA - Eye of the Beholder extension

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 22:05:16 CET 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Johannes Schickel <lordhoto at gmail.com>wrote:

> I am still torn on this. It seems most people would just accept it, just
> because it means yet again more supported games.

I disagree. The EOB games are part of the kyra engine, not a whole
different engine. Remember Gargoyle? The thoughts that people shared when
this was discussed were the complete opposite of what is being discussed
here. Gargoyle was a whole different engine on its own. These games are
using part of an engine that is focused on adventure games, and the
reactions are radically different here.

> To me all this is related to our old "informal" rule, that stated we
> don't want support for non-adventure games, which only share file format
> code with existing engines. It seems nowadays nobody cares about that
> anymore, a bit more drastic put: nobody cares about the focus of ScummVM
> anymore.

I disagree. This has been a topic of discussion again in the past, and the
games that we are talking about are a handful and very specific cases
belonging to very specific engines. If this was our informal rule, then why
was there a different handling of AGOS games in the past? Again, at least
to me, there is no definite answer in such subengines, but it's reviewed on
a per-case basis.

> Maybe it's just me who wonders now why we have a big strict saying that
> we focus on adventure games, while we add non-adventures with only small
> parts of code shared with existing engines.

Because in this case, the main engine that was added was focused on
adventure games. EOB 1 and 2 are a subset of this engine.

So, again, does the debate in subengines come down to SLOC? If we are that
strict and *only* adventure games are supported, then all non-adventure
games should be disabled, or we come down with a compromise (i.e. "only 2D
point'n'click adventure games and non-adventure games that were created
using a supported 2D point'n'click adventure game engine").

Regards
Filippos

--
"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde