[Scummvm-devel] Renaming sound/ to audio/ -- or namespace Audio to Sound?

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Feb 8 12:51:48 CET 2011

Hi there,

one thing that has been bugging me for some time is that inside directory sound/, stuff is in namespace Audio. For almost everything else, the namespace name matches the directory name, which I consider quite sensible.

The historical background for this discrepancy is that we had the sound/ directory before we really started using namespaces. When it came to converting stuff in sound/ to use a namespace, using "Sound" seemed natural -- unfortunately, lots of engines were (and are) using classes with that name. IIRC, back then, not everything was using namespace, so this clash made it kind of impossible to use the name. Today, this is different, but even now, I consider the potential for confusion to be quite big... But maybe I am mistaken.

Anyway, I really would like to rectify this. Either by renaming sound/ to audio/ -- personally, I kind of prefer "Audio" over "Sound" for this stuff (to me it seems more broad / generic).

Alternatively, we could rename the namespace from Audio to Sound, and hope that no problems arise from that.

Opinions?

Bye,