[Scummvm-devel] Moving and merging image-related code

Andre Heider a.heider at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 20:16:46 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:
> We should stick to libpng at this time (and probably forever). For the reasons that have already been given.

Late as always, but as a rule of thumb I prefer in-tree code for a
portable project like this.

I'm not sure anyone noticed, but if I build with --enable-plugins and
--default-dynamic on linux I get:
WARNING: Failed loading plugin 'plugins/libsword25.so' (Failed loading
plugins/libsword25.so: plugins/libsword25.so: undefined symbol:
png_get_io_ptr)!

That's because we do not link any game plugin against any libs. Sp the
dynamic loader can only resolve symbols from the process pool, and
png_get_io_ptr in not part of the main scummvm executable.

The quick fix for this would be to add -lpng, but note that the new
elfloader would not be able to load that plugin at all, no matter what
we link the plugin against. That's a known restriction and will
probably never change. I think the PSP port has this symbol, but DS,
DC, PS2 probably does not, and WII and GC definitely has not.

But when looking at this from the other side: is our png code able to
handle what sword25 requires?