[Scummvm-devel] Moving and merging image-related code

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 00:38:10 CET 2011

OK, so in that case, it seems that a lot of people want libpng, thus it'll
be a required library for sword25.
Should the other PNG decoder code be used as a fallback in case libpng is
missing, like Jordi said, or should it be removed altogether?

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:30 AM, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:

> We should stick to libpng at this time (and probably forever). For the
> reasons that have already been given.
>
> As for a common image decoder API: If that doesn't add overhead and
> complexity, sure, why not. But be careful: As others have already pointed
> out, we should really decide things on a case by case basis. Not every image
> format decode needs to be in the common tree, for example. Not every decoder
> implements the same functionality either -- simply because different formats
> are used by different engines in different ways. So what I don't want to see
> is people adding features to image decoders just to make them "complete",
> even though no engine *needs* those feature. That'll be feature creep and
> needlessly increase code size and complexity.
> Barring that, a common API sounds fine.
>
> Bye,
> Max

"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde