[Scummvm-devel] move to Git: timeline

Willem Jan Palenstijn wjp at usecode.org
Sun Jan 30 23:13:08 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:04:04AM +0200, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 23:06:43 +0000
> Willem Jan Palenstijn <wjp at usecode.org> wrote:
> > The repository github page is
> >
> > https://github.com/ScummVM/scummvm-test
> Hmmm.... One thing which makes me wonder is absence of commit e-mail
> notifications. Moreover, here is what they tell about this
> on
> http://support.github.com/discussions/post-receive-issues/154-receiving-commit-notifications-for-a-repo-i-am-watching
>
> > Commit emails is not something we're likely to ever implement. I
> > think you'll find that even your dashboard will quickly become
> > information overload as you watch more active repos. Sending emails
> > for every commit kinda feels like a regression back to the dark days
> > of svn.
>
> Perhaps my behavior is not really fits with modern views on code
> development, but I used to see easily how many commits were not
> reviewed (I tend to look into every commit made to the tree), and
> review them without need to be online, i.e. when the notifications land
> in my box.

Github can send commit messages to a single email address. It doesn't email
diffs unfortunately.

(Look for the 'email' service hook in the repo admin.)

Additionally it can submit a POST request to an arbitrary URL where
we could set up our own mailer.

http://help.github.com/post-receive-hooks/

-Willem Jan