[Scummvm-devel] Dreamweb code (+ general ScummVM focus/vision)

Vladimir Menshakov whoozle at yandex.ru
Mon Jun 20 05:40:00 CEST 2011

> Albeit I think it's some nice demo of the asm->c conversion I do not think
> that is what we want in ScummVM. ScummVM is about reimplementing the game
> engines or at least supporting them with the help of original source code.
> This means to me the code should be at least somewhat proper reimplementation
> of the original logic in C++.
Who do you want to reimplement this engines? What's wrong with robot reimplementing the engine?
What if I replace gotos with while/do and register names with locals. Will it be "proper" reimplementation?

> Dreamweb definitly is not like that. What we have with dreamweb is what I would
And like that, then?

> Also like Max, I have the feeling that people are discouraging that we
> reimplement it properly due to it being a "waste of time" and having a big
> chance of causing "regressions". That is IMHO bad too, we want a proper C++
> reimplementation IMHO.
Again, define "proper" please.

> Thus before other people will start to use similar techniques in their engines
> and hope that we will include them too, I wanted to express that I think we
> should not accept any of this in the future. And honestly we should not have
> accepted it in the case of dreamweb too IMHO.
Again, why shouldn't we? No real argument, just emotion.

> I do not say we should remove it from master right now! We should rather talk
> about what we really want with ScummVM (or in ScummVM). IMHO the merging shows
> that we really do not live up to our standards anymore when it comes to
> supporting new games.
Please tell what's wrong the dreamweb, beside "you don't like it". Dreamweb is not emulated, but translated from original source.

> So is this the new way to go? Should we really accept code like this in the
> future?
Why not?

> And also what are we going to do about the dreamweb code? Personally I think
> we should not support it officially till we have reimplemented it properly.
Again, no real arguments, just emotions. You think. We should not. Why not? It's playable, completable. People who uses scummvm really don't care about how this game got supported