[Scummvm-devel] Leadership. Open position(s)

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 20:13:58 CEST 2011

Hi everyone

First of all, it is very sad to see Max stepping out. He has been a driving
force for this project, and has managed to steer things towards the right
direction. A lot of good people have contributed and still are contributing
to this project, which is what really keeps it alive and in motion.

Now for the facts... as Eugene said, people are needed who will be willing
to take upon that responsibility. We need people with good administrative
and programming skills in order to help the project developers and the
project as a whole maintain a good pace. A leader should help with keeping
people organized and not constantly bickering over everything. As Matthew
said, people can't agree on everything, as that is simply not feasible. A
good leader does not say "yes" to whatever idea comes up, but should mainly
listen to others and help reach a consensus, keeping up project priorities
and helping people realize what the project actually needs.

I personally do not want to see groups who support developer A or developer
B for the position of a project co-lead. This isn't something to be taken
lightly, and this is certainly not a reason to start fighting over. Eugene
said that two people are needed to help the project stay focused and
organized, and devote themselves to this. So my question is: who is up to
this task? Who wants to really help this project and be one of its driving
forces? We really need people who can be trusted, have been long enough on
this project and have shown good faith in helping it.

Some names have come on the table. So far, we've seen the names of Willem,
Johannes and me. I believe that all are excellent choices. I can't speak for
myself, but I hope I have proved time and again that I really care for this
project and want to help. I thank everyone who has shown faith in me, and I
would like to say that I can give as much as I can to help this project in
every way I can, as a developer and as a helping hand with managerial
issues. Titles are not the big issue here. I hope that whoever takes up on
this position will do his best to help people stay united, help Eugene give
the project a driving force and a purpose and keep up the spirit, direction
and successful organization that Max always gave to this project and that
Eugene still keeps on doing (and we thank him for that).

Regards
Filippos

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Matthew Hoops <clone2727 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I completely disagree with that reasoning. I feel that Johannes' comments
> are exactly what we need in a leader. Someone who is willing to disagree and
> not just go along with everything.
>
> -Matt
> On Jun 22, 2011 12:50 PM, "Vladimir Menshakov" <whoozle at yandex.ru> wrote:
> > Willem seems like a good candidate for me.
> > As of Johannson, no offense, but I don't think he fits for this position.
> I usually don't vote against something, but I cannot ignore it for now.
> > I think his comments(both other's work and -devel) are mostly too picky
> for open source people. He's very skillful, but people easily got offended
> of negative feedback. I think this is true for all recent happenings.
> > Such behavior is not constructive and I'm pretty sure will cause further
> conflicts between project's people.
> > We were more friendlier before, for sure.
> > Sorry.
> >

> > 22.06.2011, 18:30, "Florian Kagerer" <athrxx at users.sourceforge.net>:
> >> I completely agree with Sven and Matt.
> >>
> >> Johannes and Willem would make excellent candidates (involved in ScummVM
> far
> >> beyond the scope of their own engine(s), interested in other devs' code
> and
> >> willing
> >> to comment on it, etc.).
> >>
> >> Since Eugene said that he is willing to have 2 additional co-leads
> (which
> >> also was the case before
> >> the retirement of ender) this might really be considered for these two,
> >> since it would reduce the workload for each of them.
> >>
> >> Florian

"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde