[Scummvm-devel] Including README translations

LionsPhil lionsphil at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 14:14:45 CEST 2011

On 25/06/2011 12:07, Filippos Karapetis wrote:
> The README works fine with Notepad for me, both with Windows 7 and
> Windows XP.
> It worked correctly for fuzzie with Windows 2000.

Well according to file(1) it's currently plain ASCII text...?

On Windows 98SE it's too large for the old version of Notepad which has
a ~32KB limit, so opens in Wordpad instead. Either way there is no
working UTF-8 support in DOS-era Windows, since WordPad *all the way up
to and including Windows 7* treats it as Latin-1, at least without a
BOM, and Windows 98SE Notepad does the same even if the file is small
enough.[1]

On NT-era Windows onwards it's fine. Notepad understands UTF-8 (tested
2K and 7) and handles "large" files; it just needs CRLF line endings,
which the release version has.

Given UTF-8 works for an 11-year-old version of Windows, I'm not sure
how compelling the argument to restrict the character set for the
benefit of a 13-year-old version is. For comparison I don't believe
xterms supported UTF-8 back then either; a quick Google puts that at the
release of XFree86 4.0 in 2000. :)

>       Some days ago I tested ScummVM under Win ME (very similiar to
>     98) and it ran just fine.
>
> Good, it still does.

Yes, the 1.3.0pre121-g6bfaddd nightly seems to be fine under Win98SE.

Phil
1. I used Markus Kuhn's UTF-8 demo as test data:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/examples/UTF-8-demo.txt