[Scummvm-devel] state of the Mohawk engine

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Mar 31 14:48:51 CEST 2011

Hi fuzzie, hi Matt,

thanks for your explanations regarding Mohawk / its recent default activation.

Am 28.03.2011 um 19:14 schrieb A. Milburn:

[...]

> As mentioned when discussing adding the Mohawk engine, it was used for
> various other non-adventure-game children's educational software. While
> a lot of the code (resources, sound/music, scene management) was shared
> among the games, the game logic for these tended to be hardcoded..
>
> I implemented a lot of the logic for one of those (The Logical Journey
> of the Zoombinis) out-of-tree, and while it's nowhere near finished nor
> likely to be any time soon, I'd like to hear opinions on eventually
> merging this if ever complete -- it is not simply sharing resource code,
> so it would be quite a pain to maintain as an external subengine (although
> git makes it considerably easier), but it ends up being many thousands
> of lines of hard-coded logic simply because that's how the game was
> written.

Personally, I never was fond of including these "almost supported" games. But I never pushed hard on enforcing my disapproval *shrug*.
As a consequence, we already support some non-adventure games in cases where they share a lot / most code with existing adventure engines, e.g. for SCUMM HE sports games, as well as LoL in Kyra. As such, I guess the *team* overall does not object to adding those.

If nobody (besides me ;) complains, I guess you should just go ahead and add it.

Bye,