[Scummvm-devel] Urban Runner read issue

yotam barnoy yotambarnoy at gmail.com
Sun May 1 06:01:33 CEST 2011

> I wasn't aware that the PSP had that little memory. :/

The first model has only 28MB of accessible memory, and some is lost
to the plugin loader so yeah really not much there. The 2nd model has
64MB.

But both the PS2 and Dreamcast have little memory as well.

> The gob engine did, however, in the past, allow streaming opening of
> files within the STK/ITK archives (instead of, like it does now, read
> them directly into a MemoryReadStream). Since the files are optionally
> compressed though, and each read of a archived file would need to
> reseek the parent archive stream, this lead to a lot of complication
> and mess in the DataIO class, so I scrapped it, a year or so ago.
>
> In the case of VMD files within STKs, adding that back might help.
> Still, since many other files needed for Urban Runner are compressed
> anyway, and the VMD decoder needs quite considerable memory too, I
> doubt it's enough. Also, I'd need to find a way to do that cleanly,
> without the mess that was in there before.

If the requirements on Mobygames are correct, the original game
required only 8MB on RAM, so it should be doable...? I know that's not
much of a priority nowadays, but the low requirements of our games do
allow us to run on a huge variety of platforms.

Thanks
Yotam