[Scummvm-devel] WebOS and Buildbot

D G Turner d.g.turner at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 26 13:02:57 CET 2011

Klaus,
  For a while now, the WebOS builds on buildbot have been failing.

  I think you are aware of the reasons for this, but I don't think
  this is going to get fixed without some discussion on the devel
  list on the reasons and possible fixes:

  * Between v1.3.0 and v1.4.0, the code for the WebOS backend was
    updated and now uses some functions e.g. PDL_SetKeyboardState
    which are only available in the newer PDK/SDK i.e. V3.0 API
    around ~2011-10-31.

  * This resulted in builds failing on buildbot with messages
    about these APIs being missing as the buildbot PDK/SDK is V2.0
    API ~2011-05-01.

  N.B. These version numbers are approximate as I can't find an
    obvious readme/version.txt/version number or similar indication
    of the exact version installed to /opt/toolchains on the buildbot,
    though one is called "new" and the other is "old". :-)

  I have made a minor change to link the active toolchain via symlink,
  so in the future, we can prepend the exact version to the "real"
  folder name i.e. PalmPDK-20110610-1.3.4 symlinked to PalmPDK etc.

  * However, replacing the PDK/SDK with the "new" V3.0API also results
    in a build failure as the newer gcc provided in this PDK requires
    the host OS to have glibc-2.8 or newer.

    Since our buildbot VM is running an older stable version of Debian,
    it currently has only glibc-2.7 (execute /lib/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
    to get this information).

  So the following options exist to restore buildbot WebOS builds:
  1. Upgrade the VM's Debian OS or at least update it's glibc to 2.8+
     - I am not sure who is maintaining or responsible for maintaining
       the VM's OS - Eugene, could you confirm?
     - If this is the ScummVM team, who is responsible within the team
       for VM OS updates.
       If no-one, I could probably do an "apt-get update", but as with
       any OS update, this is likely to break things :/

  2. Change the WebOS backend to support building with the V2.0 API
     again.
     - This doesn't necessarily mean removing V3.0 features, but
       code should be added to test a #ifdef for the API version and
       select/fallback/remove functions which are V3.0 only.

  We could probably do both of these at the same time, and long term,
  the Buildbot VM instance needs an OS upgrade and regular support.

  Thoughts, comments?
--
Thanks,
David Turner