[Scummvm-devel] working on a new engine (AESOP)

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 14:48:27 CET 2012

Just wanted to say that, as mentioned, the situation with EoB 1 + 2 and LoL
is that they were based on an adventure game engine (kyra, the engine used
in the Kyrandia adventure game series).

It would have been quite hard to maintain two separate sets of kyra
engines, one with the RPG game support and one without them. So these games
were added as an exception to the general rule.

We also support other RPG games, for the same reasons: Elvira 1 + 2,
Personal Nightmare, Waxworks (all using the AGOS engine, used in Simon the
Sorcerer 1 + 2 and Feeble Files) and Quest for Glory 1 - 3. (using the SCI
engine, used in most of the point'n'click adventure games from Sierra).

So, although we do support a substantial amount of RPG games, these are all
special cases... the main focus of the project is 2D point'n'click
adventure games.

Regards
Filippos

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Arnaud Boutonné <strangerke at scummvm.org>wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> The situation is still the same: only 2D point&click adventure game
> engines are merged, and, if some other games are using the same engine, the
> specific code required to make them run.
>
> There's also a scummvm-misc project that hosts some exotic things that
> doesn't fit. It hasn't been refreshed recently (afaik), but it's already
> some kind of unofficial sister project. You can do something similar, or
> use it and ask dreammaster to upgrade it (if he has time).
>
> I think the most important for the moment is to get something running:
> discussion about where to host it may come later. With EoB3 and Dungeon
> Hack supported, it won't rot.
>
> Best regards,
> Arnaud
>
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM, James Lacey <jamlacey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Matt,
>>
>> As a newcomer, I don't want to reopen an old debate. Is the official
>> position of the project as a whole? If so, I can respect that. At this
>> point in development, it would not be hard for me to just make my code into
>> a standalone project.
>>
>> I chose to do an engine for ScummVM because you guys have a lot of
>> infrastructure that it seemed to be a shame not to use. Much of what you
>> guys have written would be helpful for preserving other types of games. Has
>> there be any discussion or interest in creating a sister project for other
>> genres like RPGs?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 5:27 AM, Matthew Hoops <clone2727 at gmail.com>wrote:

>>> on a
>>> Dungeon
>>> figured
>>> While I do wish you luck in implementing the engine, I do want to say
>>> right here (before you get involved too deeply), that I would be
>>> against the engine being accepted into ScummVM.
>>>
>>> Our discussion last year about this same topic of branching to RPG's
>>> was that we only accepted EOB 1/2 as subengines of the Kyra engine. We
>>> are still an adventure game targeted project.
>>>
>>> -Matt

"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde