[Scummvm-devel] Pseudo-3D adventure games / 360 degree panoramic adventure games

Matthew Hoops clone2727 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 17:21:13 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Filippos Karapetis <bluegr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Matthew Hoops <clone2727 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> No, the games are not good candidates to be included in ScummVM, since
>> they don't fit our policy.
>

> ....which is why I started this discussion in the first place.
...and I'm saying the discussion isn't needed.

>> Furthermore, I don't think our policy needs
>> any modifying and it should stay as-is. We are a 2D project and
>> ResidualVM is the 3D alternative, and that should not change just to
>> fit the needs of a couple other games.
>

> But these games are not actually 3D. They're panoramic, like Google Street
> View. It's like taking a panoramic photo and displaying it on screen. This
> is even possible with minimal effort using javascript.
I know exactly what the games are, and I'm not sure why you're trying
to explain it to me. However, I disagree; it's still a form of 3D.

>> As someone who is very interested in both Myst3 and Legacy of Time
>> code (not only in coding, but as someone who's been in heavy
>> communication with the company for some time now), I would not want
>> either of the games in ScummVM.
>

> I really don't understand the point of this sentence.
I'm saying that even though I have a heavy interest in supporting
these games, I would not go out of my way to force them into ScummVM.
In conclusion, I'm not really sure why you're trying to get Myst3 in
here anyway; it seems to be doing quite well over in ResidualVM.

-Matt