[Scummvm-devel] [scummvm] Replace our JPEG decoder with one capable of handling progressive JPEGs (#374)

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 01:19:22 CEST 2013

On 08/11/2013 05:49 PM, Bastien Bouclet wrote:
> One other place where ScummVM's JPEG decoder is used is ResidualVM's
> Myst III engine. Myst III loads six 640*640px JPEG pictures per view
> change. The poor performance of our decoder is quite noticable there,
> even when using a mid-end x86 platform. I know this is not a valid
> reason for most of you since ScummVM is not the direct target for the
> benefits, but I'd love us to switch to libjpeg[-turbo]. It'd make Myst
> III quite a lot snappier.

I think that's a very nice input you gave here. This at least shows that
we really should consider decoding performance when we select/work on
what we will use in the future. (I think it's resonable to consider
Residual's needs in this case since it is code where Residual doesn't
want to diverge from us, as far as I got it) Thanks!

Greetings,
Johannes