[Scummvm-devel] Bringing our Core Code to another Level?

Arnaud Boutonné strangerke at scummvm.org
Tue Aug 13 09:57:16 CEST 2013

If I agree it's not relevant to compare ResidualVM issues with the ones we
could encounter in another 2D retro-gaming reimplementation project, I do
not share the vision about the third parties.

If the plan is to tell to people "fork and do whatever you want, we don't
give a shit", then we could spare a lot of time and potential regressions
if we just keep what we currently have, as it's precisely how we proceed
currently. People are forking, implementing things, which rot forever as we
explicitly don't care.

Even worst, at some point we may be tempted to ask developers to choose
their camp and leave one of the projects, after some dispute between the
two projects

At the opposite, I see essentially positive points in organizing the
efforts around the core code, under a ScummVM hat. sub-projects key users
would be identified and could be informed of changes by the core team,
could suggest new functionalities without getting flamed, and they could
ask for resources on punctual issues already handled by ScummVM team:
hosting, forum configuration, buildbot, whatever. The other way round, I'm
convinced that a new developer of such a sub project would have better
chances to contribute to ScummVM if he feels he's part of the family.

The way we act currently, such a developer would feel completely out of the
game and wouldn't mind about ScummVM, except maybe for its core changes.

When I consider what could be done in term of economies of scale, poles of
excellence, community building and advertising, I'm completely convinced
it's a better direction than just saying people "we made fork easier, now
get lost".

Regards,
Arnaud