[Scummvm-devel] Adding Directory support to Save Game System in ScummVM

Eugene Sandulenko sev.mail at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 11:21:18 CEST 2013

On 20 Aug 2013, at 09:29, Travis Howell <kirben at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> I wanted to discuss if adding directory support to the save game system
> in ScummVM was viable, and if it would be worth adding support in the
> future.
We specifically rejected idea of supporting directories in saves in the past since it heavily affects compatibility. Even with this we have to simulate filesystems on some platforms such as NDS, PS2, DC and probably N64.

I would say that a viable solution would be to use prefixes or if we are dealing with set of files per single game, simulate directories by using some kind of local index.

The need for subdirectories is quite rare for us to compromise compatibility.

Also we must remember about backward compatibility (no forward, though), so old saves are still loadable.

Eugene