[Scummvm-devel] Broken Sword compatibility

Joost Peters joostp at revolution.co.uk
Tue Dec 10 17:22:40 CET 2013

"Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut" was released
on DS, Wii, iOS, android and PC (Windows/OSX/Linux).

This game uses a different engine from the original BS1.  It's basically
a souped up version of the BS1(&2) GBA engine, which didn't re-use any
code or even game scripts from the original game.  This is partly why
some content from the original game wasn't in the Director's Cut.

There is nothing you could do to make the current 'sword1' engine
support this game.  It essentially needs a new engine of its own.

"Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror - Remastered" was released on iOS,
android and PC (Windows/OSX/Linux).

The engine for this game is an updated version of the original BS2
engine, with some hacks in it to support hints and hotspot tweaks.
At its core it's still the original game (scripts), and this version
could, in theory, be made playable under ScummVM with some
(considerable) effort.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Joost