[Scummvm-devel] RFC: Touch interface for ScummVM

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 15:24:12 CEST 2013

On 07/26/2013 12:37 PM, A. Milburn wrote:
> Low-range devices are usually 320x240 or 480x320. There's a lot of both,
> but it's probably silly trying to make things work nicely at 320x240..

I saw that 3DS was mentioned. According to wikipedia [1] it actually
uses 320x240 for its touchscreen display (like our NDS port fakes too,
even though it's 256x192 according to [2]). So, in case the NDS (or the
3DS, but I don't think our NDS port works on that though?) is really a
target, then we would need 320x240 to be working fine. However, in the
current state of the NDS port it's probably not worth to worry about.

> And of course there's plenty of devices with different weird resolutions!

In fact on the iOS port in portrait mode we do only use the upper part
of the screen (but we only scale the output of the GUI to that). That
leads me to the question: Would it make sense to support portrait layout
too?

This leads me to the next bit I'm wondering about: Some of our GUI
requires user input, which brings up a virtual keyboard on the screen
(in iOS this is actually only working in portrait mode right now, but
that has the benefit that it doesn't hide GUI parts). When designing the
layout, is this usually taking into account (i.e. that the keyboard will
not hide anything important)? Or is this a matter of the implementation
to make sure nothing important (i.e. the text widget where the user
enters the data) is hidden?

> Trying to target each of these groups *separately* seems crazy, we'll
> never keep them up-to-date and so we should really have things scale
> automatically much as possible, imo.
>
> Thoughts from anyone else?

I completely agree that we should try to aim for a GUI layout which
works across all resolutions. Of course, for very weird aspect ratios
this might be an issue and we might need special handling there.

Greets,
Johannes

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS
[2]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS#Technical_specifications