[Scummvm-devel] Started Monkey Island I+II Special Edition support

Matthew Hoops clone2727 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 15:53:54 CET 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 7:28 AM, Mathieu Parent <math.parent at gmail.com> wrote:
> - untested dxt file support (DXT1+DXT5)
Well, there's still legality complications with DXTn. Do we even want that?

If we're OK with it, we have libtxc_dxtn anyway. Would be nicer than
any implementation we could roll out.

> I currently fail to get 32bit color mode working (see HEAD^). The idea
> is to run the classic game in 256 color mapped to 32-bit color (and
> scaled, which I will do in another commit). This will allow to use
> classic costumes on SE rooms or some other funny things.
SCUMM probably needs a lot of changes to run in 32bpp. ScummVM isn't
really about "funny things" like that, either.

> - activate sound
That's not really easy either. We're missing necessary sound formats,
for starters. And there's different formats used on different systems.
iOS uses Core Audio (with ima4, I believe), whereas Windows/X360 use
XMA (with MS IMA, I believe).

Not to mention the absolute mess that this iMuse implementation would
bring. Probably the entire iMuse implementation in MI2:SE would have
to properly be RE'd again, I'm guessing. I can only imagine the
hackish nightmare the dev team did to get that in.

> - DirectX effects
Hard to really say "DirectX effects" since that would only satisfy the
Windows and X360 ports. I assume they're shaders anyway, which would
make it impossible to use in ScummVM.

Matt