[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 1.7.0 release

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 16:17:46 CEST 2014

Some thoughts on the 1.7.0 release...

What is the status of the new engines?

Here's what I know for the ones added in the NEWS file:
- Return to Ringworld: Completable, but needs playtesting
- The Neverhood: Completable and playtested
- Mortville Manor: Completable, but needs playtesting

The following are not added in the NEWS file:
- Voyer: Completable, but needs playtesting
- Lord Avalot D'Argent: ???
- Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity: ???

Should we wait until Fullpipe and Rex Nebular are finished (both seem quite
close to completion)? Or should we move on with the release without holding
off for these two?

Also, what is the status of Wintermute? Will it be included in 1.7.0?
Finally, what is the status of Broken Sword 2.5? It needs playtesting
AFAIK. Will it be included in 1.7.0?

I've also looked through the commit history since 1.6.0 and found some
additions/changes which are not mentioned in the NEWS file:
- We should probably mention that libmpeg2 is now an additional optional
dependency
- There have been several improvements in the PS2 port
- The Wii backend can now be built with DevKitPPC R26 and later
- A new OpenGL (ES) backend has been added
- Experimental support for the OUYA has been added
- The BADA port has been merged/updated into Tizen
- Savegames in Tony Tough now work in BE platforms
- The GUI can now be rendered in 32-bits
- The game detection of the QUEEN engine has been rewritten
- The build system has been changed to be more modular and easier to add
new engines
- UTF-32 support has been added

I might have missed something important here... it's been a year of
commits. Feel free to amend this list.

Regards
Filippos

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 10:12 PM, Eugene Sandulenko <sev.mail at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yes, I was planning to propose the schedule after MADE merge. Will try to
> do it this week.
>

> Eugene
>

> On 4 June 2014 21:33, Johannes Schickel <lordhoto at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 01/08/2014 08:43 PM, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
>> > Hi Team,
>> >
>> > I was specifically waiting for The Neverhood to be fully supported
>> > after the merge before I can start 1.7.0 discussions.
>> >
>> > So far the release looks not bad with added support for completely new
>> > 2 games (R2R and Neverhood), big improvements in SCI, complete support
>> > of proper MT-32 emulation being the major features.
>> >
>> > Do you think it is a good time for us to start the release cycle? Or
>> > perhaps there is something else big coming, so it's best to wait for
>> > several weeks?
>> >

>> Hi,
>>
>> are there any news on the planning for a 1.7.0 release? It has been
>> nearly a year since our last release and we usually tried to aim for two
>> releases a year. Thus, I think we should really create a plan for 1.7.0
>> sooner than later.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Johannes

"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde