[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 1.7.0 release

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 17:11:16 CEST 2014

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 5:55 PM, Matthew Hoops <clone2727 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Filippos Karapetis <bluegr at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > No, that's not what I said. The NEWS file mentions "Added back support
> for
> > MPEG-2 videos". I said that "We should probably mention that libmpeg2 is
> now
> > an additional optional dependency".
> I know what you said, and that goes with my comment below. But, no, we
> shouldn't list that. We never did that for other dependencies either.

The fact that we didn't doesn't mean that we shouldn't. And we have
mentioned changes regarding libraries in the past, e.g. "Added audio double
buffering to the SDL backend, which fixes the problems with the MT-32
emulator on Mac OS X (for now only enabled on Mac OS X)"

> add
> >> Some of these things don't really really NEWS-worthy. The build system
> >> being rewritten doesn't affect the user. They won't care about UTF-32
> >> support either; it doesn't even affect the GUI.
> >

> > A brief mention of some of these changes should be made in the NEWS file,
> > for power users, or people who build their own versions of ScummVM.
> The NEWS file isn't for power users. Any documentation file that gets
> distributed with releases should be for normal users to read.
>
> Anyone who builds their own version of ScummVM could see any new
> dependency in configure (or create_project) anyway.

That's news to me. So, you're saying that users don't care about or don't
know what OpenGL (ES) is? Or that there have been changes to the platforms
we support? Or that we support non-English/UTF-32 versions as well? In that
case, we shouldn't even mention things like "Rewrote VideoDecoder
subsystem", which you wrote, and keep everything in the NEWS file as
non-technical.

--
"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde