[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 1.7.0 release

Matthew Hoops clone2727 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 17:22:58 CEST 2014

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Filippos Karapetis <bluegr at gmail.com> wrote:
> The fact that we didn't doesn't mean that we shouldn't. And we have
> mentioned changes regarding libraries in the past, e.g. "Added audio double
> buffering to the SDL backend, which fixes the problems with the MT-32
> emulator on Mac OS X (for now only enabled on Mac OS X)"
That fact that we haven't done that doesn't mean that we shouldn't, I
was just pointing out that this would be something new. That SDL
backend change is not a library change and that level of detail
probably didn't need mentioning, but the actual change did fix a
user-facing problem.

> That's news to me. So, you're saying that users don't care about or don't
> know what OpenGL (ES) is? Or that there have been changes to the platforms
> we support? Or that we support non-English/UTF-32 versions as well? In that
> case, we shouldn't even mention things like "Rewrote VideoDecoder
> subsystem", which you wrote, and keep everything in the NEWS file as
> non-technical.
I think we should mention changes that a user will notice. We don't
support OpenGL at all right now (unless we're changing that for
1.7.0?), so that really shouldn't be mentioned. The UTF-32 code only
affects Wintermute now, so would fall under "added support for <x>
game".

I did write that VideoDecoder line; you're correct. However, I don't
think it should be there. See
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/268#issuecomment-8033298 where
I did voice my complaint.

Matt