[Scummvm-devel] [scummvm] MADS: Merge of Rex Nebular game engine (#464)

Sven Hesse drmccoy at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 26 21:13:37 CEST 2014

Hej hej!

On 2014-05-26 14:47:54 -0400, Paul Gilbert wrote:
> My own perspective on this is that the spirit of the rules were followed..

I really must disagree there.
The rules say a week, and so everyone thought that it would be a week,
and planned around that. The spirit is about everyone being clear when
the merge would be, so that there is time to double-check. Merging
prior to this agreed-upon timeframe, without notification and
discussion, is exactly /against/ the spirit.

While I myself have no stake in this engine at all, I can understand
people being annoyed by the sudden overthrow of the timetable.
timetable.

Hell, as an "inclusionist", I like having more engines in ScummVM,
more games supported. I was quite happy seeing it progress. And now
I'm disappointed in the handling of the merge.

> I don't feel a
> mere 20 hours or so difference should have mattered all that match.

The exact time is completely arbitrary and meaningless, yes.
But that's not important.

But what is important is consistency. Or at least fire up a short
mail on -devel "Hey, I'd actually like to merge that really as soon as
possible, because $REASON, any problems with that?"

Just a flash decision "Whelp, I merge it now, other people's plans be
damned"? Why not just remove the rule from the get-go; it's completely
meaningless then.

Sven