[Scummvm-devel] Discworld distribution. How to proceed?

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Mon Apr 25 13:38:44 CEST 2016

Hi Team,

After all of these years and some consultations around, I finally came up
to the conclusion that we could release both Discworld games as freeware.

This is all based on a fax from 2005, I am attaching a copy which I am
going to distribute instead of the license file. Per Colin Smythe in our
correspondence with him: "It is our policy NOT to give an official licence
if we have already stated that we have have effectively granted freeware."

Now, we're coming to a different area. Finding a way to distribute the
game. The games are pretty big, almost 2Gb combined. We were asked to limit
our monthly bandwidth consumption, which makes putting the game straight
away a bit problematic.

Moreover, another big game is coming to be freewared, that is the Hopkins
FBI, which is another chunk of versions of about 5GB worth of data.

Thus, after talking around, I have an idea of putting up our torrent
server, and limiting it, say, to 500kb/sec. That will give us 1.3Tb of
monthly traffic, which is well beyond our thresholds. Also. I can help from
my home with a more speedy upload bandwidth. But the main idea is that the
users will be helping each other, especially during the peaks after we
announce the availability of the games.

Additionally, I could put the files on the sf.net, and thus, offer both
the direct link and .torrent file from our site.

So, what do you guys think, should it be the way to go? Or we could just
put it on the sf.net and not mess with the torrents at all?

Eugene