[Scummvm-devel] Proposed 1.8.0 release schedule

Hubert Maier raziel_nosgoth at web.de
Mon Feb 1 14:20:04 CET 2016

Hi Eugene,

> For a long time I was telling the porters that the effort is minimal:
> build your port, check it launches with couple of games and package it.

It *is* actually that easy
Speaking from a non-coder POV.

> With our architecture once you have an engine running, most of others
> will run as well. Those engines which differ either require some specific
> port feature like full-color support, or cursor palettes, or are
> resource-demanding, like big resolution or heavy computational stuff as
> MT-32 emulator or memory requirements.

Even then the porter (me) can always ask on either the ml, forums or irc and
upto now i had always been given an answer and often enough even help to
implement what was missing.

> In my opinion, the primary reason for lower porter engagement is that
> many platforms these days are cannibalized either by Linux/Andoid or by
> iOS. Also we see two primary architectures, x86 and ARM emerging the
> market. Thus, people are not really keen of putting much effort into
> maintaining "exotic" ports.

I'd put even more time and effort into mine if i only could

Thanks to all the hard work going into ScummVM year over year and thank you
for keeping up the good mood, help and calm towards noobs (me, again)

:-)

Speaking of which, i may not be able to instantly upload a final build if the
release date crosses my working time/real life

But i'll get to it

Take care,

Hubert
--