[Scummvm-devel] GSoC application

Tobia Tesan tobia.tesan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 00:27:18 CET 2016

Hi everybody!

There is a rather glaring conflict of interest :) since I plan on
applying in case ScummVM gets accepted as an org, so I was going to keep
my mouth shut.
My opinion has, however, been directly solicited, so here's my two cents.
In fact, as you shall see, I have more questions than answers and/or a
fully formed opinion.

I am maybe not the greatest RPG fan, but I love the idea behind RogueVM
in itself.

I love, that is, the idea of iterating the ScummVM approach over other
games; the approach has very obviously shown its strengths and the
osystem and backends are a veritable treasure [we have a better idiom
for this in Italian, the English equivalent I can't quite put my finger on]

But is it interesting GSoC-wise, you ask.

Since I support the idea I quite obviously support the idea of having
students work on it :)
I wouldn't put *very very* much weight on the idea of using it to gauge
interest, because GSoC students are highly non-representative of
anything but the set of GSoC students.

I have no specific opinion re: sister project or not sister project
being that the project is still in its embryonic phase anyway.
In the grand scheme of pipe dreams the ultimate consequence, a few years
down the line, *could* possibly be that the osystem and backends be
factored out and RogueVM, ScummVM and a hypotetical TetrisVM share it as
clients?
Maybe this could be an... interesting vision to pitch, more than adding
support for increasingly obscure games?

That said, I *have* to wonder whether the idea could actually backfire -
i.e. what if it makes the proposal look *more* unfocused?

Let me play devil's advocate for a second here: if I squint my eyes I
can see how to the casual observer ScummVM might (deceivingly) look like
a spent force because... well, you can only get so good at emulating
Scumm, AGI and BS; and ScummVM is so very good.
In the same vein, Don Knuth, the wise man he is, decided that the TeX
version numbering would converge to pi, because within a small epsilon
you can only get so good at typesetting documents.

By adding RPGs, you propose a coherent vision of growth, or you are just
stuffing random things in and looking like you are adding things for no
particular reason after you have more than accomplished your project's
main goal?

More importantly, would it be wise to do so before Residual - which has
interesting things going on and offers the students a learning
experience in 3D graphics as well - is really "in focus"?

I don't know.
I don't know what the folks at Google think.
And I don't even know how to interpret the data point (basically a
single bit of information) from last year.

To draw conclusions (and not a lot of them):
     - I very much support the idea of RogueVM and of ThingsVM(TM) in
general
     - I believe you can use it to make a great pitch or to shoot
yourself in the foot, but I wouldn't be able to tell which one is which.
     - I believe it also depends on the specific tasks and engines,
which you have not mentioned.

Whatever you do, I trust you'll do the best possible job :)

    Good night