[Scummvm-devel] Dink smallwood engine

fedor_qd at mail.ru fedor_qd at mail.ru
Wed Mar 16 12:33:06 CET 2016

Two days wasted. Is Dungeon master free from that staff? If no - I want take cloud integration task(I hope it free).

исходное сбщ
Тема: Re: [Scummvm-devel] Dink smallwood engine
От: Arnaud Boutonné <strangerke at scummvm.org>
Дата: 16.03.2016 12.57

Hi Fedor

The task was initially written based on a discussion with the original
author (Seth), and was therefore targeting v1.07 and v1.08 sources,
published under a ZLIB license. Seth considers opening the sources of
DinkHD as well, but plans to use an anti-GPL licensing, which makes my
interest drop to zero. (eventually negative values, even).

I was afterwards pointed to the Freedink project (I initially misunderstood
the scope of that project), and my discussion with the project leader was a
bit more complicated. First, he was disappointed that I started to talk to
him after the task was announced, which is understandable even if I was
clearly targeting v1.07 and v1.08 initially. Then there are some other
matters, such as, between others, the project is still well alive with a
solid community, and is GPLv3.

At the time I speak, we therefore don't have the support of the engine
porters, and we have a licensing issues as _sev's proposal to upgrade
ScummVM to GPLv3+ wasn't accepted by part of the team.

I therefore apologize, but I'm opposed to a task based on Freedink project,
as we would cumulate sources of potential failure (potential opposition of
part of ScummVM's team to have a dual-licensed binary, potential conflicts
with the Freedink's team and community). Furthermore, I'm currently
discussing with Dreammaster about removing the task completely, as it makes
little sense to work on yet-another Dink port.

Best regards,
Arnaud