[Scummvm-devel] memory footprint issues

J.Brown (Ender) ender at scummvm.org
Thu Mar 6 11:02:29 CET 2003

There is memory tracking for resource expiration, however I suspect a lot
of memory is going towards three things:

 * Screen buffers / VirtScreens
 * SMUSH
 * Sound/MUsic

Both the screen buffers/virtscreens use some amount of memory. Also, SMUSH
alloctes -yet another- buffer or two for the screen - it should use the
preexisting game buffers imho (and will need to for INSANE anyway).

The music bundle decompressor is also probably quite wasteful on both
memory and possibly cpu.

I don't really know of any decent memory profilers, but that is where I
would suggest looking.

 - Ender

   http://www.scummvm.org/   | "Amen! Attempts to eradicate humour from
   http://www.quakesrc.org/  |  our distribution should be ignored with