[Scummvm-devel] scummvm-tools package?

Andreas Bierfert andreas.bierfert at lowlatency.de
Tue Dec 21 11:34:01 CET 2004

Willem Jan Palenstijn wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been thinking a bit about a scummvm-tools fedora package. The
> reason why I haven't made one two or three releases ago is the name of
> the 'extract' tool. Specifically, I feel it wouldn't be right to put a
> binary with a generic name like 'extract' in /usr/bin.

Just take a look at my previous post. I have a fc3 livna.org package (it is in
the subversion repository. I tought build should not be made till 0.7.0 release
tough).

The trouble about the naming is: Either install it global and in a directory
which normal users should habe in their path (like /usr/bin) or don't install it
via rpm. Maybe put it into your ~/bin or wherever you like. I decided the
/usr/bin approach:

[08:24 PM][awjb at alkaid ~]$ rpm -ql scummvm-tools
/usr/bin/convbdf
/usr/bin/descumm
/usr/bin/desword2
/usr/bin/extract
/usr/bin/md5table
/usr/bin/mm_nes_extract
/usr/bin/queenrebuild
/usr/bin/rescumm
/usr/bin/simon1decr
/usr/bin/simon2mp3
/usr/share/doc/scummvm-tools-0.6.1
/usr/share/doc/scummvm-tools-0.6.1/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/scummvm-tools-0.6.1/README

> A couple of possible solutions:
>
> * don't create a scummvm-tools package.
> * just put everything in /usr/bin regardless.
> * don't put the binaries in /usr/bin but somewhere outside of the
> default path. (If so, where? It might have to be mentioned in the docs
> as well.)
> * rename the binaries in the package. I really don't want to do this
> because it would be confusing to have tools named differently on
> different platforms.
> * rename the extract tool itself.
> * other?

Maybe what would be good is to add a scumm- or scummvm- prefix to those files.
This whey they will not confuse anybody.

> A final, hopefully easier question:
> Which tools should be packaged? I'm guessing the 'convbdf' and
> 'md5table' tools are for internal use only and wouldn't be useful to
> have in a scummvm-tools rpm. What about the others?

Well why not package all? I don't actually know what these tools do (looking
from this at a scummvm user pov) but an extra package would be no trouble like
scummvm-tools-devel or so?

-Andreas

--
Andreas Bierfert               | http://awbsworld.de      | GPG: C58CF1CB