[Scummvm-devel] Branched.

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Feb 16 04:32:02 CET 2004

Am 16.02.2004 um 13:08 schrieb James 'Ender' Brown:

> The main reason I didn't change HEAD's version number was because I
> really couldn't decide on it. I'm not really happy with calling
> 'stable'
> releases 0.6.x and also using 0.6.x in our development branch. And
> boosting it to a higher number is, IMHO, misleading.

Why? It's going to be the successor of 0.6.0 one day, and it already
now has additional features which the 0.6.0 branch hasn't (and that
will soon increase, once the FLAC patch and other things get checked
in). So a higher version number seems logical to me...

> Perhaps something along the lines of just "0.6devel" without any
> subversion numbers. Nobody ever bothers to boost them anyway :)

I'd find that even more confusing, because to me, "0.6devel" is exactly
the same as "0.6.0pre" - i.e. a development / prerelease version of
0.6.0. Which is not true, because HEAD is actually the successor of
0.6.0.

It's not about "boosting the subversion numbers" -- that's completely
pointless anyway, unless done properly, i.e. automated, which we can't
do with CVS (another nice point for subversion :-). Rather it's about
sticking a label on it which says "see, this is different than the
0.6.0 branch, use it at your own risk".

The 0.6.x IDs should be used for bug fixes releases of 0.6.0; so indeed
my first suggestion (0.6.1-cvs) is bad; 0.6.99-cvs is a better one. Or
we adopt the linux way and call it 0.7.0. Or we call it 0.7pre, or
0.7devel. But it must be clear that it's *after* 0.6.0 ...

Bye,