[Scummvm-devel] Discworld.... and more

James 'Ender' Brown ender at scummvm.org
Fri Apr 15 03:06:36 CEST 2005

Hi Markus!

The current state of Discworld is that I'm currently awaiting a reply
from the person in posession of the engine. The only confirmed details
so far are:

 - We are entitled to any Source Code still obtainable, and have written
permission to that effect.
 - We are entitled to release Discworld as freeware, although further
discssion regarding licensing will need to occur with Colin (Terrys
agent) when the time is right.

I've been told that the main engine source is quite likely still in
existance, but most of the work until now has been legal and tracing
down rights. Now thats done, I'm just awaiting final word on the source.

As far as whether you should continue to work on it, I'd say yes.
Although I am as certain as it gets that we will have the original
source code soon, these things can (and often do :) backfire at the last
minute.

As the engine going into ScummVM will be written from scratch, just
using the original source for reference, it can't hurt to have knowledge
of the file formats etc beforehand. So it's not a waste of time, put it
that way :)

Do keep me updated with your RE work, and I'll let you know as soon as I
have an update.

As for your dummy engine, with the latest CVS of ScummVM all you need to
do is link it, and add a LINK_PLUGIN line to base/plugins.cpp

If you still have problems, it'd help if you could send your dummy code
for a once-over.

Cheers,
	James 'Ender' Brown
	Co-Lead,