[Scummvm-devel] Improving the scumm debugger

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Jul 22 10:31:44 CEST 2005

Am 22.07.2005 um 19:13 schrieb Jonathan Gray:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 05:47:47PM +0200, Max Horn wrote:
>
>> P.S.:
>>
>> Not to be misunderstood: My comments do not mean that I support
>> adding any such things to ScummVM. Right now I assume this will be a
>> 3rd party project based on ScummVM. If anybody has interest in adding
>> this to ScummVM: Please tell me convincing reasons why it would help
>> us to increase the SCUMM codebase even more with code which (in my
>> eyes) doesn't help us further the primary goal of ScummVM (which is
>> to be able to play the original LucasArts games, and which is *not*
>> to be able to write and run new games).
>>

> Additional debugger features sound like a positive thing, adding
> specific support for a custom game likely does not.

Yeah, but as I understand it, those new features are mostly geared
toward debugging newly written games (source level debugging), and
thus wouldn't be too useful for regular LEC games -- I could be wrong
though, that's just how I understood Alban so far.

> However if people want to spend time writing small games or
> whatever else that run on the original interpreters and
> ours it would likely highlight any remaining differences.
That's true, but then, we already know about some difference, some of
them are there on purpose... as long as they don't affect game play
of any of the regular games, "fixing" those is more a philosophical
than a practical goal, IMHO :-)