[Scummvm-devel] Word completion for AGI games

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Apr 12 13:58:40 CEST 2007

On Do, April 12, 2007 13:03, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:03:27 +0200
> Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:
>
>> Anyway -- is there *any* engine which would benefit much from this,
>> other than AGI?
> Yes, save dialog as well as our built-in engine debuggers.

The debuggers I buy, at least partially (there are some commands that
could be auto completed, also the operands won't benefit from it).
But savegame names? Unless we add a generic english autom completion
dictionary, I don't think it would benefit much, plus people who want to
use non-english savegame names (or savegame names with fancy content)
would be left out.
For savegames, either a virtual keyboard, or the quick save functionality
should be doing fine, no?

>> I am not aware of one, so I'd say, let's not add
>> OSystem APIs until we know that we need them. In particular, right
>> now it would seem more rewarding to me to add code to the AGI input
>> dialog which (optionally?) enables a virtual keyboard (maybe with a
>> #ifdef DS), *if* we think it makes sense...
> Well, this is part of our SmallBackends SoC task which was accepted by
> Google. So it would be best to ask Serhiy to do the task, though his
> time until June is quite limited, I specifically asked him to spend at
> least several hours per week on the task.

Well, it still needs to be properly designed. Right now, from what I read,
it seems a "PredictiveInputManager" would be a better way to implement
this than adding a OSystem API.