[Scummvm-devel] Memory/speed loss in scumm engine

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Mar 11 14:54:38 CET 2008

Hi Neil, hi all,

so I came back from my vacation last night, and it seems nobody
replied to this email... so I guess I better do that now ;)

Am 01.03.2008 um 18:56 schrieb Neil Millstone:

> Hi,
>
> I began porting my changes to the DS port across from the 0.11.0
> branch
> to the trunk,
great :)

> and came across something nasty.

not so great :(

> There seems to be a
> massive loss in memory between 0.11.1 and the trunk, to the point
> where
> most games don't run any more.  The frame rate is also 2 - 3x worse in
> Sam & Max.  I've not tried other games.

That's nasty...

> When I start up version 0.11.1 of ScummVM  I have 2020Kb free (out of
> the DS's 4Mb) when I'm sitting at the game selector in the frontend.
> When I start up the trunk version of ScummVM I have 1196Kb free.
>
> So I have lost 824Kb and a whole lot of frame rate.  This is with the
> exact same backend on both versions.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

No idea at this point. Do you have any way to determine what eats up
the memory?

The issue would probably affect all ports, so it should be possible
to use debugging tools on any Linux/Windows/OSX machine to figure out
where we loose that memory, I guess...

Any volunteers to do that? :)