[Scummvm-devel] Translate the website?

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Tue Jul 13 21:41:03 CEST 2010

Le 13 juil. 2010 à 12:48, yotam barnoy a écrit :
> In the forum we have a rule that all conversation is in English,
> right? So why would we create inconsistency and confusion with the
> website?
>
> In my opinion, the only thing that's worth translating is the
> (partial)manual and the readme file, for noobs. Anyone who's more
> serious should be able to handle the minimal amount of English that's
> on our site.

I don't agree with that. I know that when I was 15 my english skills were so poor I could not have navigated much in the web site (I would probably have found the download page but not much beyond it). And at that age I enjoyed playing DOTT and Full Throttle (fortunately I didn't need ScummVM to run them and it was the localized version of the games :) ).

I think the two main entry points for the software are the web site and the ReadMe (although I know a lot of people who don't read the ReadMe). Therefore I think it is a good idea to translate the web site. Then it would also be a good idea to translate at least the first part of the ReadMe (about ScummVM and Quick Start). Translating the full ReadMe and the User Manual would of course be a good thing, but that would require a lot of work. Actually I have an outdated french translation of the first part of the ReadMe somewhere, and I can say it took much more time to translate that than to translate the ScummVM GUI. I don't think I would have the courage to translate the full ReadMe.

Since I believe it is better to do something than nothing, I think starting with the web site (and maybe the first part of the ReadMe) is a good idea.

Concerning the forum, I am not sure if I dreamed it, but I seem to remember a discussion a long time ago on the possibility to create forums (fora?) for the foreign languages were we have moderators. I can't remember what was said (if anything) about that idea. By the way I don't think it is necessary for all the moderators on the forum to be part of the team. We could promote some of the old time regular posters if needed.

Thierry