[Scummvm-devel] engine names

A. Milburn fuzzie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Nov 18 14:10:11 CET 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 08:01:11AM -0500, Matthew Hoops wrote:
> I don't really see why that makes a difference, as I have stated in
> the past. Users are not going to know engine names anyway. No matter

Because confusing people as little as possible doesn't seem like an
unreasonable goal. Maybe a completely hopeless one though.

> what we put as the engine name, the user will have to look up some
> sort of mapping (even with "toltecs" as an engine name, it's not
> obvious to everyone what that is immediately). And with the larger

Yes, it's definitely at best a "I'm looking for game X, what supports
it?" thing.

> engines, it's even harder since we would have to list so many games in
> the mapping.

Yes, for those we have simply lost, because no kind of mapping is
helpful here. As noted on IRC, ~14 characters is the target and it
doesn't work if you have more than one/two games.

- fuzzie