[Scummvm-devel] engine names

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Sat Nov 19 15:56:41 CET 2011

Le 19 nov. 2011 à 14:41, A. Milburn a écrit :

> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 02:09:59PM +0000, Thierry Crozat wrote:
>> But I would like to stress that I think it is important to have the same
>> engine name everywhere
>
> Well, what is 'everywhere'? Just our documentation? I'm wary because if
> we're really going insist that internal engine name == public name which
> must be used everywhere, *please* pick the most friendly names possible.
>
> I have been proceeding on the assumption that I can just for example name
> the Android Market plugin for Soltys 'ScummVM plugin: Soltys' (rather than
> 'ScummVM plugin: CGE'), no matter what we decide for the engine names. If
> I really have to use the 'CGE' version then that makes this a problem.

For the Android Market we can be pragmatic. Since the users are game-oriented (as written by Sev in his reply) I would suggest for single game engines (and maybe also for engines support a few games) to use the game name rather than the engine name here. So 'ScummVM plugin: Soltys' is fine for me. What I would not like to see is a name that is neither the engine name nor a list of game names.

Thierry