[Scummvm-devel] Windows experience

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jan 31 00:16:02 CET 2012

On 31/01/2012 1:05 AM, Willem Jan Palenstijn wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:28:46AM +1100, Travis Howell wrote:
>> On 27/01/2012 2:38 PM, J. King wrote:
>>>
>>> This is, I think, a sensible position.  I wonder, however, if there
>>> isn't a solution which can meet both perceived needs.  It seems to me
>>> that one should be able to create a symbolic link at install-time:
>>>
>>> mkdir "%appdata%\ScummVM" mkdir "%appdata%\ScummVM\Saved games"
>>> mklink /d "%userprofile%\Saved Games\ScummVM"
>>> "%appdata%\ScummVM\Saved games"
>>>
>>> If it fails (because symbolic links are not supported by the
>>> installed version of Windows, or because conditions do not meet the
>>> ridiculous requirements for symlinks in Windows 7), it can be
>>> silently ignored and no harm is done.  If it succeeds, saved games
>>> are in a visible location which is accessible, searchable and
>>> generally more friendly, without the need for any changes in ScummVM
>>> itself, and it need not even be an advertised feature.  On the other
>>> hand, it might perhaps be confusing if User A has the link and User B
>>> does not when the only different between them is that B's user
>>> profile is on a network share, or what have you.
>>
>> Yes, adding a symbolic link under Windows Vista/7 is a good solution. I
>> updated the Windows installer to add the default save game directories,
>> and create the suggested symbolic link for Windows Vista/7 only.
>>
>> Adding a symbolic link under Windows Vista/7 requires elevated
>> Administrator access, but I think the Windows installer already requires
>> Administrator access anyway.
>
> What's the point of a symbolic link? If the place we're putting that link is
> better, why don't we just put the savegames there? If it isn't, why have the
> symbolic link at all?

The symbolic link is only meant as a compromise, simply to cover all
options, as J. King already stated. I still think the current default
save games is fine in Windows Vista/7, since it is consistent, and can
be easily accessed via the Start Menu.

The save games location will rarely need to be directly accessed by
users. Usually only if users are manually backing up or moving their
saved games to a new location.

> I don't think it's too late to change the save game directory again, by the
> way. Yes, some users will be impacted, but so be it.

I'm against further changes, as I stated before, as I think we have
impacted users enough already. The real problem is these kinds of
decisions should be completely discussed and made, before any changes to
ScummVM.

On a side note, people need to stop complaining only after changes have
been made to ScummVM, when there are warnings of future changes on
devel, and more than enough time (several weeks in this case) for
feedback on devel, before the changes were committed.