[Scummvm-devel] Request to merge Hopkins FBI engine

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 17:43:30 CET 2013

Great news! Thanks for the work done on this

The game is a typical point'n'click adventure game (apart from the totally
unneeded Doom maze towards the end).
IMHO, it's a very good addition to ScummVM.

Also, it would be great if this would be turned into a pull request, so
that people can have a look at the engine code, and the (small) tweaks
needed in common code (like, extra platforms).

Regards
Filippos

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Arnaud Boutonné <strangerke at scummvm.org>wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> If I may add something: one BeOS version is not detected properly, but
> apart that the OS/2 and BeOS versions are playable and should be
> completable. (Testers required)
>
> Thanks Dreammaster for this additional engine. Be nevertheless aware that
> the game itself contains gore cut scenes and occasional mild nudity...
>
> Thanks in advance for your feedback concerning the merge!
>
> Best regards
> Strangerke
>  On 15 Feb 2013 15:31, "Dreammaster" <dreammaster at scummvm.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The Hopkins FBI engine currently located at
>> http://github.com/dreammaster/scummvm hopkins branch is now, in the
>> opinion of both Strangerke and myself, ready for merging. Apart from
>> myself, thanks goes to Strangerke for his tireless efforts at cleaning up
>> the engine, and to others like eriktorbjorn for their occasional commits.
>> And of course the original developers, who accidentally compiled the game
>> with full debug information, making it easier to reverse engineer and
>> re-implement the game.
>>
>> The details of the current status of the engine can be viewed at
>> http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Hopkins
>>
>> Essentially,
>> * Both the Windows and Linux versions are supported and should be fully
>> completable
>> * The Windows version doesn't support the 'Wolfenstein 3D' style shooter
>> for the enemy base later in the game; instead we've set up the engine to
>> either use the Linux version base map image, or fall back on showing a
>> simplified map that it generates on the fly.
>> * The OS/2 and BeOS versions aren't properly supported, but that's
>> something non-critical, particularly given the rarity of these versions.
>>
>> The only bugs we know about are some very minor palette/fading issues in
>> between a few scenes, which can hopefully be identified and fixed at some
>> point in the near future. And of course, if someone really wants to, they
>> could always look into implementing the Wolf 3D portion, since neither
>> Strangerke nor myself are currently interested in trying to do it.
>>
>> Are there any objections to merging this funky detective adventure into
>> master?

"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde