[Scummvm-devel] MT32 [Alsa] vs MT32 Emulator - GM used instead...

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 11:21:55 CET 2014

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 6:26 AM, sunmax at libero.it <sunmax at libero.it> wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> Using 1.7.0git and LSL1 from GOG collection.
>
> This happens when you are using the external munt daemon
> (yes I know there is an internal implementation - I just
> happen to have the daemon running as I use it for other
> apps), this is what happens:
>
> - the game thinks you started it as General Midi (and is
>   actually asking for 4.pat - in the same fashion as if
>   you started it as Midi [Alsa] or internal fluidsynth),
>   when you select MT32 [Alsa] as audio
>
> - whether you have the 4.pat in place or not, the music
>   will be non-sense (just a set of drums all the time)
>
> - the game works fine with ScummVM internal MT-32 emu
>   (which I assume to be based on "munt" as mt32d)
>
> - mt32d/munt works fine with other apps
>
> So I would assume it's a quirky and not-very-common
> scenario, but before I file this as a bug, would like
> to know if anybody ran into this in the past or can
> reproduce.
>
> Btw: it also happens with LSL3:
>
> "WARNING: Game has no native support for General MIDI,
>  applying auto-mapping!"
>
> And kyra1... so now I wonder:
>
> Are all MT32 games started as GM too when we choose:
>
>  "MT32 [Alsa]"  vs  "MT32 Emulator" ?
>
> I.e. an external MT32 in place of ScummVM internal one.

Unless you check the "True Roland MT-32" checkbox ScummVM will tread all
MIDI devices except for the builtin MUNT MT-32 emulator as General MIDI.
Checking the "True Roland MT-32" checkbox makes ScummVM tread the MIDI
device as MT-32 instead. Since external MUNT builds are no different to any
other external MIDI device (like when you have a hardware MT-32 connected
via ALSA, Windows MIDI, etc.) this is expected behavior. This should be
covered in our README (although it only talks about the --native-mt32
command line option there, see section 7.5.1).

// Johannes