[Scummvm-devel] Device capabilities

Dreammaster dreammaster at scummvm.org
Mon Mar 10 20:48:39 CET 2014

Hi all,

There's currently a pull request for enabling the Lure of the Temptress
engine mouse menu mode for the Wii. The game originally used the mouse
without a cursor to scroll through menu options, but this obviously hasn't
been suitable for tablet style environments without a mouse.

What the pull request brings to mind is the question of device
capabilities. I vaguely recall tentative discussions some years ago of
providing a standardized set of device capabilities to simplify compilation
for cases like this, but I can't dig up any emails where it was actually
discussed. The current place in Lure, for example, will now (after merging
the pull request) have a line:

#if defined(_WIN32_WCE) || defined(__SYMBIAN32__) || defined(WEBOS) ||
defined(__ANDROID__) || defined(__WII__)

The #if is just getting longer and longer, and as with now, it relies on
porters for new systems to actually find the place in the Lure engine and
manually add their system to the list. Could we perhaps consider
introducing defines across all the systems for features, like
"DEVICE_HAS_MOUSE". Games like Lure could then simplify their complation
conditional checks. This would also be useful for Voyeur as well, since the
engine currently differs in behaviour than the original in the mansion
close-up view, just to accommodate mouse-less systems.

There are are other areas that I'm not as familiar with, such as the
virtual keyboard, that I presume is similar in this regard?

DreamMaster.