[Scummvm-devel] Closing out old tickets in the tracker

John Willis john.willis at distant-earth.com
Fri Oct 26 10:53:12 CEST 2018

Hiya,

For what it’s worth I tend to agree with most of the arguments regarding keeping tickets open especially around open time being a poor criteria on its own.

I have in the past used something like your idea of an ‘abandoned’ status (used to call it ‘hibernating’ in another project) to show things that are not clearly fixed but are still open issues. You could also use that status to drive burndown on the  tickets without ultimately changing any of the metrics or visibility as it is would still be an open status, just one we could optionally filter out.

Also very easy to move back to a more active status without any open/closed/open/copy/paste/urggg type mess. We could tell users to always search over hibernating tickets as well when raising an issue. In my mind it seems like the pragmatic compromise if we really want to clean things up but not lose or bury items.

This is of course, based on the status quo with tickets being untenable, I can’t really comment on that as I am A: useless as a dev, and B: much more passively involved these days.

It comes down to people actively using the tracker and committing at the end of the day that should have the call on this so just my 2p ;). Also worth noting I come from the point of view that something is never ‘closed’ unless you can prove it.

Regards,

John